"Waiting For You" // Poem

You know, I've been thinking

And I realised I've lost count

Of how many years it's been since you left

It's been that long

I remember that midwinter's morning

When you told me you had to leave

I said goodbye to you in the falling snow

And you didn't tell me you were coming back

You didn't promise me anything

Though before you turned away

I thought I saw

A look in your eyes

An unspoken vow that you'd return

Though maybe I was mistaken

Maybe I imagined it

Maybe there was no look, no vow

And you never intended to come back at all

But I waited for you

As the days turned into weeks

And the weeks turned into months

And the months turned into years

But you know, I've had a great life

I've seen empires rise and fall

I've lived through things most wouldn't even imagine

But through it all

I always thought

About what it would be like if you were by my side

If you'd only returned

But the years turned into decades

And the decades turned into centuries

And I'm still waiting for you

Though I persuaded myself that I no longer care

That I've let you go

I know deep down in the depths of my soul

That no matter what happens

No matter how long I live

I'll always be waiting for you

To come back

To me.

                                                                                        

Well, I hope you enjoyed that excuse for a poem. I wrote it during the summer and actually already posted it on this blog, but that was back when I still had an average of zero readers, so I thought I'd re-post it so my newer followers can check it out. If this is the second time you're reading this, sorry mate, what can I do. Also I have no better post ideas than this, and what's more, no time to write any other posts - I've been busy working on my new writing project and that takes up pretty much all my writing time. I do have a couple of posts planned in my mind, but I'm not sure when I'm going to have time to write them down.

Anyway, let me know what you thought of my poem.

Gotta run,

-Indigo

Comments

  1. This is so sweet.Thank you for re-posting! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, you're welcome! Glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  2. This makes me feel a bit sad, perhaps some sort of brokenhearted-ness. Your poem made me think that some things (or people for that matter) are meant to leave our lives, and sometimes the hole left in our hearts will forever be missing the piece to make it whole. That's a heavy burden.

    Anyways, good luck with your new writing project XD Take it all on your own pace and don't rush! I look forward to knowing more about it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's true... I'm glad my poem made you think! Though I'm sorry it made you sad lol XD

      Thank you, I'm really going to need it :P I'm thinking about writing a post about it, but I'm not sure when I'll have the time. :)

      Delete
  3. OH MY WORD I LOVE THAT POEM!!! It's so pretty...and sad...love it! XD
    (Do you have any music in mind to put to it?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked it! :D

      No, I never thought of that actually... I'm not very good at writing songs (and even worse at singing them, lol) XD

      Delete
    2. I've only written instrumental music, but I think that your poem would be great in a song. XD

      Delete
  4. wowwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS POEM THO.

    the story behind it, the emotion, the everything!!! I LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I'm so glad you like it! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey there, internet denizen and visitor to this blog! I hope you enjoyed reading this post, and if you did, please leave me a comment! They make my day, and I reply to every single one. If you've never commented before, don't be shy! I love making new friends. Just be kind and respectful, please. I possess the power to remove comments; don't make me use it.

Popular posts from this blog

"Not Like Other Girls" // Poetry

Indigo's Monthly Writing Challenge: November

Interview with a made-up character - NO it's not as insane as it sounds (IT'S EVEN WORSE, RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN)