"The Ghost of The College": A short story

Here's a story I wrote a couple of years ago as an English writing exercise, I think? I don't think it's that great, but I showed it to my mum and she absolutely loved it, soo... I thought I might as well share it here, because why not.

                                                                      

Julie and Jason slowly approached the iron gates surrounding the enormous, gloomy college building.

“We shouldn’t be here,” hissed Jason. “We’re going to get in so much trouble with our parents.”

Julie was already peering through the bars of the gate leading to the building. “It looks really creepy,” she observed. “Like one of those haunted houses in horror movies.” Her eyes lit up. “Hey, maybe it is haunted! That would be so cool.”

“Cool?” echoed Jason. “What’s cool about ghosts?”

“Well, I don’t know!” She rolled her eyes. “That’s not the point.”

“There’s no such thing as ghosts, you know,” said Jason. “Look, I’m getting chilly. Let’s just go back.”

“Have a look at the college first. You wanted to see it too, didn’t you?”

Unable to hide the fact that he was as curious about the college as Julie was, Jason peered through the gate as well.

Suddenly Julie spun around. “What was that?”

“What was what?” mumbled Jason, more interested in the huge, ancient, ominous-looking building in front of him than in what his friend was saying.

“I heard something… like footsteps.” Julie shivered; she suddenly felt oddly unnerved. “Look, maybe you were right. Let’s just go back home.”

“Yeah, let’s go,” said Jason, relieved.

They turned away from the imposing building and went to find their bikes, which they’d left abandoned in a nearby patch of grass.

Just as they reached the bikes, an icy rain began to fall. It chilled them to the bone and made them feel desperate to be back home, warm and safe in bed. They still had to cross the woods, though, and the thought made them both shiver. On the way here, crossing the woods in the dark had seemed exciting and thrilling, an adventure, but now the thought of entering the gloomy, threatening woods made them feel uneasy.

Jason jerked around. “I heard something!”

“I told you there was something there!” hissed Julie.

A distant rumble of thunder reached them, low and ominous. A sudden flash of lightning startled them. Suddenly it looked like it was daylight; they could see each other’s faces clearly, and they saw something else: painted across the one of the college building’s walls was a shadow, gigantic, pitch-dark and terrifying.

Julie and Jason looked at each other. “Let’s get out of here,” said Jason.

They jumped on their bikes and pedalled furiously, but they’d barely reached the outskirts of the woods when they were stopped in their tracks by some unseen force. They looked at each other, petrified.

A freezing wind swept around them, and with it came a low, haunting moan. Tendrils of a thin white mist appeared from nowhere and enveloped them.

“J-jason,” said Julie through chattering teeth, “Something’s v-very, v-very wr-wrong here…”

The moan rose into an ear-splitting shriek. The mist grew thicker and thicker until you couldn’t have seen anything through it.

And then, just as quickly as it had come, it disappeared. Everything was the same as it had been before.

Except for one thing. The area around the college was empty. It was completely quiet except for the sound of the rain and the distant thunderstorm.

And the only sign that there had ever been anyone visiting the college that night were the abandoned bikes lying on the grass.

                                                                    

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed this. Hope no-one gets nightmares because of it. I just love writing horror stories, they're so much FUN, and you get to torture your readers by leaving it on really creepy cliffhangers. Mwahaha I am so evil. 

Comment your thoughts pwease, I love getting comments!

-Indigo

Comments

Post a Comment

Hey there, internet denizen and visitor to this blog! I hope you enjoyed reading this post, and if you did, please leave me a comment! They make my day, and I reply to every single one. If you've never commented before, don't be shy! I love making new friends. Just be kind and respectful, please. I possess the power to remove comments; don't make me use it.

Popular posts from this blog

"Not Like Other Girls" // Poetry

The Spaceships and Vampires Monthly Writing Challenge: December

Interview with a made-up character - NO it's not as insane as it sounds (IT'S EVEN WORSE, RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN)