Beauty: why the heck does it matter? A confusing little ramble by your favourite blogger (a.k.a ME, obviously)

Okay so I just want to write a short-ish post about something that I've been thinking about lately.

That something is beauty.

No, this isn't going to be some sort of beauty tips post. Or an essay about what I think beauty means to me.

I want to write about why does beauty matter so much? 

Whenever I visit my family (which isn't often as they live quite far away) they're always like, "oh, you've gotten so pretty now you're older!" or "You're such a beautiful girl!" And I say thank you and maybe go a little bit red because I'm like the shyest person in the whole damn universe, but I can't help thinking, why? Why do they say that? Why do they seem to think that by calling me pretty they're making me feel good and confident about myself? Because well, they're not.

LOOKS JUST DO NOT MATTER TO ME. I don't give a damn whether people think I'm pretty or ugly or whatever. Being called pretty doesn't give me a confidence boost. It's something so insignificant in my eyes that it just washes straight over me.

I'd rather get compliments like, "you're such a fun person to be around!" "You're so interesting to talk to!" "I enjoy spending time with you because you have a great personality!" or even, "Wow you're a great writer!" But "you're pretty"? Like, whatEVER

I'd prefer people to think I was smart and funny over being considered beautiful. Does being beautiful make you successful in life? Does it make you happier? Does it make more people buy your books? NOPE, it doesn't. Good looks are useless. 

But time and again people act like looking nice are the most important things in the universe and I'm just sitting here wondering about the future of humanity.

So the point I'm largely failing to make here is that BEAUTY DOESN'T MEAN A THING TO ME AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IT'S SOMETHING SO IMPORTANT TO SO MANY OTHERS.

'Kay, so that's all I really wanted to say here. Sorry this is basically the most confusing ramble ever, I just wanted to write something about it. (I think I should stick to creative writing. Trying to actually explain stuff always fails so bad.)

Until next time,

-Indigo

Comments

  1. I can totally relate to this post!
    Actually a few days ago I was at a party and one of the girls told me that I was the most popular girl in our homeschool group and I didn't believe her, so she said, "You're pretty."
    And I was like, "Thank you...?"
    It's sad how people only look at the outward appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's like people only care about looks, what happened to "it's what's inside that counts"? Anyway, I'm glad you related to this, it's nice to know that others think the same as me! XD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey there, internet denizen and visitor to this blog! I hope you enjoyed reading this post, and if you did, please leave me a comment! They make my day, and I reply to every single one. If you've never commented before, don't be shy! I love making new friends. Just be kind and respectful, please. I possess the power to remove comments; don't make me use it.

Popular posts from this blog

"Not Like Other Girls" // Poetry

The Spaceships and Vampires Monthly Writing Challenge: December

Interview with a made-up character - NO it's not as insane as it sounds (IT'S EVEN WORSE, RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN)