book review: shadow and bone

 I wrote this at 10.30pm the other day please don't judge me

Follow me on Goodreads!



(cover image taken from goodreads)


who is this chick posting a book review idk her

also who is this absolute MANIAC posting twice in one week someone stop her omg

Was this book amazing? No. Did I still have a load of fun reading it? GOD YES

I absolutely love this fantasy world, I fell in love with it in the Six of Crows duology and reading this book felt almost like coming home 🥺 it's so intricate and atmospheric and unique and did I mention I l o v e i t , absolutely legendary

It's so interesting reading this after Six of Crows cause you can really tell how Leigh Bardugo's style has developed, the writing quality in this is... not amazing? But my love for SoC and this world kept me engaged so it was fine.

Alina had... pretty much no personality, she was quite a stereotypical YA heroine in the way she thought and acted (though she did get a bit more interesting towards the end?) and Mal was pretty bland as well, but I kind of... liked them? I want to keep reading to know where their character arcs take them lol. The Darkling was a pretty intriguing dude, I still have no idea what to make of him except that his morals are fucked up and therefore he is interesting. And GENYA!! G E N Y A GENYA IS A QUEEN AND I LOVE HER SO MUCH!! Like can she marry me pls she is perfection and i want her to be m i n e ok

MINE

Also I really want to be a Grisha now, I want to be POWERFUL and control the elements and wear really dramatic clothing and also the Grisha are described as being all beautiful and I love being surrounded by beautiful people

Anyways this book was a lot of fun and it brought out my dark side (there's a bit where the main character is offered clothes that would mark her as special among the other Grisha and she refuses because she "doesn't want to be above anyone else", and... all I could think of is that I could NOT relate, if that were me I'd be like "HELL YEAH bitches i am powerful and special BOW DOWN TO ME) and it was brilliant and writing this is reminding me that I cannot for the life of me write a proper book review so I guess I'm going to quit while I'm behind 

a d i o s f r i e n d s

Comments

  1. Great review. You've gotten me interested in it.
    I sometimes love stereotypical characters, too. Even if they aren't particularly well-written.
    WAIT GENYA, WHAT IS GENYA LIKE? I ask because I obviously need more fictional girlfriends, lol.
    OKAY, BUT YOUR REACTION TO BEING IN GRISHA'S POSITION MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD. I'd probably do the exact same thing. Xd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Ooh that's good, my work here is done 😂
      SHE'S AMAZING AAAH, she's really confident and stylish and also really nuanced, you should definitely read the book to know more!
      Lol I'm glad you relate, welcome to the dark side, we have cookies 😎😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey there, internet denizen and visitor to this blog! I hope you enjoyed reading this post, and if you did, please leave me a comment! They make my day, and I reply to every single one. If you've never commented before, don't be shy! I love making new friends. Just be kind and respectful, please. I possess the power to remove comments; don't make me use it.

Popular posts from this blog

The "Sunday Currently" + Q&A requests

Indigo's Monthly Writing Challenge: November

Of Rising Authors Tag (FINALLY OMG)