MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE + what I've learned in 2017

Hey there, guys... First of all, I just want to say MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you!! Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, I hope you really enjoy the holiday season. And I hope you all have a great start into the new year!

ARGH I can't believe it's three days until Christmas?? I mean, I'm excited (because PRESENTSSS) but I'm also slightly freaking out because how has time gone so quickly?? I swear it was the beginning of December just a few days ago, how's it already the 22nd? *sigh*

It's at this time of the year that you start looking back at the year that's ending and thinking about all the good and bad things that have happened. 2017 has been something of a rollercoaster for me. In a lot of ways, it hasn't been a great year. I've been struggling with a lot of anxieties that I'd rather not go into, even though that's getting a lot better now. I was quite ill during the spring: I had two bouts of vertigo, during which I spent a whole week being barely able to walk without feeling as though the ground was moving under my feet and making myself feel so sick I threw up. I also got braces in February, which was utter hell at the beginning, I spent over a month with my teeth and gums in constant discomfort. I had to study a lot the first part of the year for my two GCSE exams, which was tiring, and the exams were rather nerve-wracking. And that's not even mentioning that the world seems to have decided to go insane lately, what with all the political craziness and all those horrible terrorist attacks this year (the other day someone asked me what the best horror movie I'd ever watched was, and I answered "THE TEN O'CLOCK NEWS". AND I WASN'T EVEN JOKING.)

BUT 2017 hasn't been entirely negative. There's been some good things. In April I made contact with an old friend I hadn't spoken to in over three years, and we've been meeting up regularly ever since, which is pretty cool. My GCSEs were nerve-wracking, but I feel like I really made myself justice in them (and I got some pretty awesome grades, which is even better). I had two holidays this year, one with my parents at the beach at Weymouth (which was awesome) and one with my family in Spain (which was also pretty awesome). Blogging has also been a good highlight of my year, and I started writing my novel, which I think is going quite well so far. So all in all, I'm not sure if there's been enough good stuff to counter the bad stuff, but 2017 hasn't been that terrible.

I feel like I've grown a lot throughout this year. I've gotten older, and, well, a little wiser? Possibly? I've realised a lot of things about myself. I've realised that if I'm not perfect or the best at something I feel like a failure; this isn't a very good quality in me but hey, the first step in getting rid of a fault is acknowledging it's there, right? I've realised that I can get very anxious about things that shouldn't stress me out, and I'm trying to learn to just relax and go with the flow. And I've also realised that being quiet and introverted and shy around people I don't know well isn't a fault or something I need to try and change - it's just who I am, and it's okay! I'll probably always be like this, and to be honest, I wouldn't want to change - if I did I wouldn't be me anymore.

 I've discovered what my real opinions on a few things are, and as a consequence I've grown more confident. I've been through a few experiences this year that have challenged some of my viewpoints; in some occasions they've made me change my mind about something, and in others going through it has only made me more confident that my own opinions are what's right. I've realised that as I go through life not everyone is going to have the same beliefs as me, and that's okay, I respect your views; but lately I've also realised that I don't have to respect a person's beliefs if those beliefs disrespect or hurt others, i.e. if you're sexist or racist or homophobic. I'm sorry, but I just can't respect those sort of views. I believe in equality and fairness for everyone, and it's what I want to fight for during my life. I think this is one of the most important things I've learned this year.

So while 2017 hasn't been an amazing year, it has been pretty good for me in terms of personal growth and figuring out who I really am. A lot of the time I'm still (to quote my dad) "as lost as an octopus in a garage" * about who I am and want I want in life, but I'm figuring out more and more, learning as I journey along life... I can't wait for 2018 and what it will bring.

*(Don't ask me why my dad says that. I swear he just makes up dumb quips just to annoy me. When I ask him why he says that he answers with, "well, if an octopus has ended up in a garage, it's pretty lost, isn't it?" He actually has a point.)

Things I'm looking forward to in 2018:

- My sixteenth birthday less than a month away in January (*throws confetti*)
- Possibly getting my yellow belt in karate at the March grading
- Getting my braces off next summer (hopefully)
- Taking my remaining three GCSE exams (I'm not really looking forwards to that, but I AM looking forward to getting all my exams out of the way)
- Going on an awesome trip to Paris and Amsterdam in June/July after said exams
- Starting sixth form in September (yikes)
- Working really hard on my novel (my goal is to finish it by the middle of next year... we'll see how it goes though)
- LEARNING TO CHILLAX BECAUSE I'M GOING TO GIVE MYSELF HEART FAILURE OVER ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ONE OF THESE DAYS I MEAN REALLY
- Reading more, because I haven't really read as much as I usually do this year, which is sad
- Just... living. Living life. Going through experiences. Learning. Growing up. Getting wiser. I know 2018 is going to be filled with both good stuff and bad and I'm looking forward to ALL OF IT.

Tell me, how has 2017 been for you? Has it been good or bad or in the middle? What have been the highlights of your year? What are you looking forward to in 2018? And are you doing anything exciting for Christmas?

See you in the new year,

>>>Andrea<<<

Comments

  1. Hey there! Thanks! I'll definitely check your blog out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg 2018 sounds like it's going to be AMAZING for you!! I'm cheering for you!! Also I'm really glad you had so many great highlights for 2017 (and the news is terrifying, I agree iwth you there *shudders*) Also when you said this --> "I've also realised that I don't have to respect a person's beliefs if those beliefs disrespect or hurt others" I JUST WANT TO CHEER BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I BELIEVE TOO!! I don't have much tolerance to sit back and let people talk trash about others under the guise of "it's freedom of speech" or whatever. Be respectful! We all need to be! I think we all need to speak up. So I really admire this post (and you!!) and think you're doing amazing!!

    I hope you have a great last few days of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope 2018 is good for me! I mean, it can't be any worse than 2017, right?? Tho I did have quite a few good highlights this year :)
      Omg really that is so cool! I know, me neither tbh, I can't stand people hating on others for no good reason :/ It's nearly 2018 for crying out loud, we need to start respecting each other!
      Aww thank you so much! That means a lot. I hope you have a great start to the new year! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey there, internet denizen and visitor to this blog! I hope you enjoyed reading this post, and if you did, please leave me a comment! They make my day, and I reply to every single one. If you've never commented before, don't be shy! I love making new friends. Just be kind and respectful, please. I possess the power to remove comments; don't make me use it.

Popular posts from this blog

What I Want To Do In Life

"Not Like Other Girls" // Poetry

The Spaceships and Vampires Monthly Writing Challenge: December