coffee date (short story).

 So? What is it you wanted to talk to me about?”

Olivia’s blue eyes are open and inquiring and intense as they bore uncomfortably into mine. I tap my fingers on the coffee shop table, looking away. I can’t meet her gaze.

“Let’s order drinks first, shall we?”

“Sure, good idea. Can you get me a latte?”

Grateful, I escape to the counter to place the order. But too soon, I have to make my way back to Olivia, balancing the tray precariously on my hands.

“Ah, lovely. Thank you,” she says, picking up her coffee mug. She closes her eyes and breathes in its warm scent as I fall back into my seat. “The coffee here is so good.”

She pulls her wallet from her pocket, but I wave her away. “No need to pay me back. It’s my treat.”

She frowns. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah.”

“Look, what’s going on?” Olivia leans forward. “Seriously, what’s happening with you? I’ve known you for years, and I’ve never seen you behave as weirdly as you’ve been behaving lately.”

“What do you mean?”

“Hmm, let me see. First you ask me to meet you here so we can talk about something, but you flat-out refuse to tell me what that something is. Then you pay for my drink, which you never do. And don’t think I haven’t noticed that you haven’t made eye contact once since you got here. What’s going on?”

I take a deep draught of my coffee. It scalds my tongue painfully, but I need the strength. I fidget around with the cup, searching for the words to say.

I find none.

“You’ve been behaving weirdly around me for weeks now,” says Olivia, folding her arms. “What’s changed between us? Sometimes I get the vibe you don’t want to be friends with me anymore.”

“Of course I still want to be friends!” I say, panic washing over me. “I mean… I… I…”

The words dry up in my throat.

“You what? You’re confusing me!”

Olivia’s phone chimes where it lies on the table. She picks it up, scrolling through new messages. She smiles, then laughs quietly under her breath. Her smile is brighter than the sun.

She looks so beautiful, it almost takes my breath away.

“Who’re you texting?” I ask, glad for a temporary change in the subject.

“Oh — no-one.” She looks strangely embarrassed, setting her phone down. “Just this guy I met at a party a couple nights ago.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, we’ve been texting since then. He’s really cool. We’ve got loads in common. He’s so cute, too. I think he wants to ask me out.”

All the air rushes from my lungs.

“Really?” I ask distantly.

“Yeah… Look, are you going to tell me what you want to talk to me about?” Olivia looks uncomfortable. “Because the suspense is killing me.”

Her phone chimes again. Another text from the cute guy from the party? The one who makes her smile like that? The one who makes her shine?

All of a sudden, I can’t breathe.

I drop my napkin on the table, pushing my chair back. “It doesn’t matter.”

“Doesn’t it? Hey! Where the hell are you going? You can’t just leave like this!” Olivia grabs at my hand as I walk past. “What’s going on with you? Tell me!”

“I said it doesn’t matter—”

“No, it matters! You’re my best friend, and nothing you do makes sense anymore! Please, tell me! Have I done something?”

She looks so sad and scared, it breaks my heart. “You haven’t done anything.”

“Then what?”

“I can’t.”

“Please!”

“If I tell you, it’ll ruin our friendship.”

“Like it’s not already ruined? I haven’t spoken to you properly in weeks!”

I stare at her. Her eyes are fixed on the coffee cup in front of her, a muscle ticking in her cheek.

She’s not wrong.

Whatever happens next, my relationship with Olivia will never be the same. I have two options. I can walk out of this coffee shop right now — and potentially damage our relationship beyond repair, forever.

Or…

Or.

“I like you.”

Her pretty blue eyes lift. “What?”

“I like you, okay? I like you as more than a friend. I’ve had a crush on you for months. I couldn't keep it a secret any longer. I had to tell you.” I take a deep breath. “There. Happy now?”

Olivia just stares at me.

“I have to go.” My heart is pounding so hard I feel sick. I’m suffocating. I turn to bolt out of the coffee shop, my cheeks on fire.

But she grabs my arm again, stopping me. I can’t read her expression. “Do you mean that?”

“Why would I say it if I didn't mean it?”

She looks down at the table. Her hand is still on my arm.

Then she looks up. Her lips twitch into a small, hesitant, hopeful smile. My heart skips in my chest.

Her eyes are shining with happiness.

“Why don't you sit back down? Please.”

Hope blooms inside me. I sink onto my chair.

Olivia smiles again. “Let’s talk.”




Comments

  1. AHHHHHHHHHH! I looooove this! It's so well-written and sweet, and, again, I loved it [also sorry my comment is so late. I shamefully haven't checked your blog in quite some time].

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it ❤️ dw about it, I've been absolutely terrible at keeping up with blogs lately so I understand 😅

      Delete
  2. This was so sweet, I love it. :) The dialogue is awesome.
    -Quinley
    P.S. I tagged you for Twenty Years Older: A Letter Tag:
    https://adventure1359.blogspot.com/2021/06/twenty-years-older-letter-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Ah, and thanks for the tag! I'll check it out asap :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey there, internet denizen and visitor to this blog! I hope you enjoyed reading this post, and if you did, please leave me a comment! They make my day, and I reply to every single one. If you've never commented before, don't be shy! I love making new friends. Just be kind and respectful, please. I possess the power to remove comments; don't make me use it.

Popular posts from this blog

"Sisters": An unfinished free-writing thing, + plus mini life update because I can't bear not talking about myself apparently

Life update thingy: my writing isn't going great, but we have snow so never mind

"Not Like Other Girls" // Poetry