"Not In The Stars" // Poetry


Went out looking for a shooting star tonight 
To make a wish on 
To pray on 
To wish for the darkness and shadows and nightmares to leave me alone 
To let me start living again 
For my hope to come back 

But out on these streets all I see is more darkness and more shadows 
And more nightmares 
And more despair 
No shooting stars 
No luck 
The air smells like smoke and fumes 
And crushed, shattered dreams 
And I don’t have a choice but to breathe it all in 

I was looking for a bit of peace tonight 
A change in pace 
A change in luck 
For the tables to turn 
To finally have something to hope for 
For something to pull me out of the black hole I’ve been living in 
For far too long 
But I guess it’s just not in the stars tonight 
Or ever 

I left home looking for more than what I already had 
Didn’t like the cards fate dealt me 
So I threw them away and went searching for a new hand 
A better hand 
But I guess it just wasn’t in the stars 
And now all I have is darkness and shadows 
And crushed, shattered dreams 

Forests are magical until you get lost in them and they kill you 
Waterfalls are beautiful until you drown in them 
Fire is mesmerising until you get too close 
And it burns you inside and out 
Well I guess it’s the same with life 
I got too close 
And I got burned 

I threw myself at fate but fate threw me away 
I was sucked powerless into a black hole of despair 
I’ll keep searching for my shooting star 
To wish for the darkness to leave me alone 
For my hope to come back 

But I guess maybe it’s just not in the stars. 


                                                                                                                                                                  





Yeahhhh, I don't know. I rarely write poetry and this is a good example why. Thoughts?

>>Andrea

Comments

  1. This is really good! I love the rhythm of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great! You should totally write poetry more often, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, maybe I should, but I rarely have any good ideas for poems :/

      Delete
  3. I love the lines "Forests are magical until you get lost in them and they kill you
    Waterfalls are beautiful until you drown in them" for some weird reason that just made me laugh so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey there, internet denizen and visitor to this blog! I hope you enjoyed reading this post, and if you did, please leave me a comment! They make my day, and I reply to every single one. If you've never commented before, don't be shy! I love making new friends. Just be kind and respectful, please. I possess the power to remove comments; don't make me use it.

Popular posts from this blog

"Not Like Other Girls" // Poetry

The Spaceships and Vampires Monthly Writing Challenge: December

Interview with a made-up character - NO it's not as insane as it sounds (IT'S EVEN WORSE, RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN)